Popular Posts

Thursday 27 January 2011

Valentino - worth the hype or worth a miss?

Let's get this straight, I am a massive lover of Vintage Couture - I don't care who it's by; Balenciaga, Dior, Chanel, Valentino - It's pretty, high fashion, bejewelled and like a magpie, I love it.
So I always venture into Couture fashion week with baited breath, but so far have not been let down. Armani, Dior and Gaultier have all proved their worth and have secured their place in fashion history for one more year.
But Valentino, where do I begin....?



When I was a poor fashion student undertaking a National Diploma with little knowledge of fashion designers, I set myself a task of researching designers and Valentino was the first one I came across. And I instantly fell in love. What he achieved was true couture, it was daring and exciting. The colours, the fabrics and the volume all went up a notch with Valentino.




As you can see - the current creative directors have a lot to live up to in my eyes. And I don't quite think they make it to be honest. This weeks couture show was a little... well, boring. There was no pizazz, it just looked like a ready to wear collection with more expensive fabric being used. It was sumptuous, i'll give them that. There was lace, silk and chiffon. But I can't help thinking that this was not what the great man would have envisaged all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment