Popular Posts

Friday 28 January 2011

Becoming inspired by the 70s

Before selling my soul to the devil... I mean, becoming a teacher, I was a poor Fashion Student taking a national diploma in Fashion. The very same course I teach my lovely year 12 class now.
I had never done any textiles before as my school didn't offer the subject, but I was really interested in it, so I thought I'd give it a go on the basis that if it's something I enjoyed, I would be good at it, or more inclined to get better if I wasn't good. That advice I gave myself turned out to be the most valuable piece of information I ever had. Advice which I believe in so much, I tell my pupils today.

When I began my National Diploma I knew very little about Fashion in general, my mum had always bought my clothes and I had tended to follow the crowd when it came to trend. Which is why I have the most hideous passport photo of my dressed as a Chav - I thought I was cool. Obviously, I was wrong.
Nowadays I tend to actually follow trend and read magazines and newspapers, along with shopping for myself so I follow no crowd and have my own sense of style.
My first lot of designs were anything but good. They were awful. But when I found my own point of view I realised I wasn't influenced by trends current or previous but more the decade and what happened within that time. I believe alot of what happens in the media and news effects not only fashion but art aswell. Take the 1980s; power dressing and Margaret Thatcher? You see what I mean.

So my first lot of designs for about 5 years proved to be inspired by yet another decade; the 1970s. Whilst researching a previous blog I found an image of some vintage 1970s fabric and fell in love.

So, feeling inspired by the floral pattern I got out my pencils, watercolours and paper and began my work.
After so long of having to design for a specific purpose, to a design brief, for someone else; it was nice to just do it for me.
I had no one to show them to, to ask if I was doing the right thing - because I didn't have to. They were mine, almost like a secret I would never show the world.
Obviously I am showing the world, and therefore, they no longer become a secret, but I'm proud of them and the peace they bought me whilst doing them.



So, if you haven't designed, drawn or painted for a while. Find the time - you won't regret it, if anything, you will feel so much better afterwards.

Here are my designs; feel free to comment, or not, it's up to you...


No comments:

Post a Comment