Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 December 2010

The 3R's

Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
For any technology teacher, those three words are a staple for teaching GCSE Technology theory before the big exam, because almost every year there is a question of some form on the subject.

As a textiles teacher I am used to telling my pupils all about how the textiles industry impacts upon the environment. In fact, I'm quite sure I have bored many a child in my 3 short years as a technology teacher, that I am always on the look out for new and exciting ways of bringing the subject to life.
So imagine my surprise when opening the new issue of Company magazine and finding a small, yet informative, section about how Recycling is one of the hot new trends for 2011. After all, we are in a recession, aren't we?

So I thought i'd share some of the knowledge with all you lovely people - and if you have any to add feel free. That's one of the many useful things about this blogging malarkey - or so I'm told.

1. Re-Use: Lou Rota - Customizes unwanted china and furniture using transfer printing and old newspaper print - I especially love the 1970's style school chair using the Cath Kidston-esque floral print. www.lourota.com


2. Reduce:  Zoe Murphy, re-vamps 1970s furniture by adding prints inspired by her home town of Margate. I'm a lover of anything Vintage! www.zoemurphy.com

3. Recycle: GreenPac sells products from recycled PET plastic bottles and from recycled newspaper. These 'Smencils' are made from recycled newspaper! www.greenpac.co.uk
I hope I've given you all a few ideas for how to enter 2011 a little bit more green! If you know of any more let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment