Popular Posts

Saturday 5 February 2011

Take it from Ke$ha - We Are Who We Are

Working in a school tells you something, we as people are very judgemental. If you don't look the same as your friends, if you don't listen to the same music as them, if you don't like the same stuff, they don't like you anymore. Which is a bit sad if you ask me.

It is only when you leave school when you can truly become an individual and find your way in life, you begin to buy your own things with your own money, you get new friends with different interests.

As much as I appreciate the school system, it gives me a living afterall, I have the feeling that we are stifling the children we are teaching. We are telling them how to dress, how to have their hair, what make-up they can and can't wear, no wonder they rebel sometimes.
When I was at school I had a hard time, I was different, and I didn't understand why I shouldn't be, afterall I was just being me. What was so wrong with that? Needless to say, school wasn't much fun and is a time in my life I would rather forget.

We are regularly bombarded by images in the media of the celebrities making headlines for all the wrong reasons, aren't we just telling people it alright to be like that as long as it gets you famous? Aren't we just justifying the actions of others? What kind of message is that?
I often tell my pupils that it's ok to be wrong. They are so scared of getting things wrong and being villified infront of their peers for it. So they become sheep and follow the crowd.

Being an individual means doing what you want - within reason of course, wearing what you want, being who you want to be. There are a few people in the media at the moment who should be applauded for promoting individuality; Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Rihanna and, of course, Lady Gaga.


I'm going to focus on Ke$ha in particular for a minute, whenever you see her on red carpets or in interviews she always seems to have a certain style, a 'I never answer to anyone' style, it's effortles; you know when you see her she has had a say in what she is wearing. Whereas many celebrities these days seem to have stylists for dressing them and the small animals they carry around with them.

So, let's celebrate individuality, and next time you go into your wardrobe, choose yourself an outfit that tells people you are who you are, and you're not bothered what they think, because if they have judged you in that split second of meeting you, surely they can't be worth knowing.

If you don't take it from me, take it from Ke$ha, after all 'We Are Who We Are'.

No comments:

Post a Comment